Wednesday, September 13, 2006

loss of face

I sometimes long to be a robot. Usually quite literally. But not today. Today I'd like to be a figurative robot. In a society with strict, clear social standards and customs. A society where an insult or slight is unambiguous and has definitive reparations required. Where your emotions and societal customs are so completely entwined you can't tell them apart. Where an accidental snub becomes a slap to your ancestor's face.

I feel like I'm aimlessly floating around in freedom. Uprooted. Can something be uprooted when it was never, well, rooted in the first place?

Lately I've been thinking about some of my past friendships that have ended. And they didn't end well. They usually weren't so much a "we don't have anything in common anymore" but a "you cause me pain" type of ending. At the time I placed most of the blame on the other person (though reserved a bit for myself). Now I'm questioning the past. It's time to fess up; I'm quick to end a relationship. I'm always prepared to call it quits. Snub me again and it's over. A friend once told me that no matter what I did he would always be there for me.
A standard response might be: "Thank you."
Mine? "What if I killed your mother?"

The point? (A little rambly, but I'm getting there.) If we existed in the society I described my indignation and subsequent termination of a friendship would be sanctioned by custom. But until that happens I'll just continue to be considered a jerk.



In other news my vocabulary is seriously lacking.

3 comments:

mynewshoes said...

Uh oh, are you trying to tell me something, robot boy?

Did I tell you about the plan to found a small town in some neglected, empty small, rural area, and that (inspired by the 60 foot tall Jolly Green Giant) our monumental icon would be Vicky from the 80s show Small Wonder? You're invited, robot boy.

Anonymous said...

My response to "I'll always be there for you?"

"But when will you leave me alone?"

What about that world on Star Trek where they could only speak in metaphor and it was all "Chaka, when the walls fell" or whatever? That could both increase your vocabulary and allow for your ancestors to be slapped.

Or we could just go eat some cupcakes and look for new pants.

PS Someone is outside with a really irritating laugh. If it were the Vicky world, maybe she could zap them. (That show really creeped me out.)

ipj said...

Oh god, now I have to create a whole fake history for myself simply so I can always speak in past metaphor. This'll be a challenge.