Tuesday, June 19, 2007

math at the end of the world

l x w = ?

What's the answer? I'll give you a hint: it has to do with rectangles.

I was playing online pictionary (also called graffiti by those Yah*oo bastards, just to make it hard to find) and my "requesting to remain anonymous for this very reason" coworkers could not guess the answer. (I had actually drawn them a square as well.) I refused to start a new drawing. We sat there for over a minute while I kept saying Length times width! Length times width! I was flabbergasted. In an attempt to find someone to share my befuddlement I told this story to another coworker who also failed to provide the correct answer. How could this be?! They each justified their woefully lacking knowledge of math by pointing out that they majored in theater. Damn arts, ruining the scientific minds of our "youth."

Let's jump to a new topic.

Have you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? It's really good. Really really good. This is my second time reading it in less than a year and it made me cry on the subway this morning. It was a pretty crowded train at 7:30AM and I was sobbing. His writing completely caught me off guard. I think it's becoming one of my favorite books ever. You should read it.

5 comments:

Isaac said...

"They each justified their woefully lacking knowledge of math ... " You snob.

Gillian said...

I think you will find many snobs in the area of l x w.

laurenj said...

woeful! you are justified in your incredulity, ipj!

Although, I have to admit, more complicated shapes, like circles, might compeltely throw me.

Goodbye Blue Monday said...

The area of the rectangle! Just so I feel smart for actually writing it first.

Nah, circles are okay, they're just (symbol for pi) x radius squared. But start going 3d and I'll start having calc nightmares. I kicked my ass to pass that test, for christ's sake, so I wouldn't have to remember. Tangents and parabolas and f(x)'s, oh my!

Anonymous said...

In defense, some people don't care about pointy things.....like right angles, Isaac!