Friday, September 21, 2007

help me!

Seriously. I would really appreciate your opinion.

Here's the deal:

I'm trying to change my job and start teaching Pilates for a living. Right now I have a full time job (37-40 hours a week) at the theater where I've worked for three years. I have dental and health insurance at this job but I don't like it very much and I get out late (8PM). I also teach Pilates at a gym 3 days a week. Right now my number of sessions at the gym fluctuates between 3 to 6. So I'm not making much there. There's the potential that that number could increase but it depends on the clients so I can't necessarily depend on it. I'm also barely teaching at a studio (keep in your head: theater, gym and studio) but I don't get paid at that job since those teaching hours are part of my certification in Pilates. I still have about 70 hours to finish before I'll get paid out there. It's taken me about 4 months to teach 80 hours and since I'm busier now (with other things) it'll probably take me at least another 4 months, meaning next February, before I'll start getting paid.

A friend of mine teaches at another studio and told me that the owner was looking for instructors. I met with the owner yesterday and gave her a lesson and she said she'd be interested in taking me on as an apprentice (since I'm not fully certified), meaning that I would get paid, just not that much. But she doesn't need me when I'm free, she needs someone to be available in the evenings. I told her I would figure out some way to make it work with my job at the theater but that would basically mean leaving work about 2 hours early and I'm not so sure they'd like that.

So here's my question. Am I trying to take on too much at once? Should I forget about this apprenticeship thing and just concentrate on my job at the theater, work at the gym, and finish up my hours at the original studio? None of the hours I work at other studios or gyms count as hours toward my certification, these first 150 hours have to be done at that studio. Or would I be letting a great opportunity go by not starting at this second studio? Would it be better to finish up those 150 hours so I'd at least have that done and wouldn't have to worry about traveling out to DUMBO without getting paid?

I really don't know. What do you think?

2 comments:

Gillian said...

It does all sound like too much at once. I think I'd stick with your insurance-job and finish up your certification.

And here's why: insurance is good, especially when you need dental work. Finishing your certification means that when new teaching opportunites arise (which they will--you've already had two come up in, what, a month?) then you'll be free to take them and the appropriate pay.

Besides, you don't even like that one gym.

This will also allow you to have some time for yourself (right?), which you'll need or nothing will make you happy, no matter if it's what you want to do when you grow up or not.

Even if it still took you until February to finish your certification you'd still be doing well. February is not all that far away (said the women whose inside baby will be outside and two months old by then) and you've got so many more Februarys to come.

Besides, the cupcake wars are not over.

tarak said...

Yes, you are taking on too much. You need time for you. You are not a happy you right now.

Yes, you should forget the apprenticeship right now. You've already committed to the certification and need to finish that up ASAP. You are losing hours as I type this. And you've lost even more because of the gym. You spend time there w/o getting paid. That means you are losing money and time. Not good.

Also, keeping the insurance job is good for now because it allows you to do the pilates certification in the first place w/o having to worry too much about money and health. I would hope that you won't stay there forever, but as someone who also needs the insurance (and it's good insurance) I say to you stick it out cause it gives you this benefit until there is an equal or better option.

I bet that if you left or cut back the gym thing, you could have a monday - friday 10 - 6 thing (or something like it) if you wanted because your job has more autonomy than mine. I really hate to see you tired, and sick, and overtaxed, but that's what's happening to you right now.