Thursday, February 26, 2009

trial

Parfait and I are going through a trial of no TV for a week.  It started Monday.  I unplugged our TV and put it on top of a bureau, screen turned away.  I felt like we kept coming home and automatically turning on the TV.  We'd usually end up watching Food Network, which I do think is pretty fun but at the same time, not necessary.  As a concession I plug in the TV each night before going to bed so that Parfait can turn on the Today Show in the morning, it's how he starts his morning.  He doesn't ever really watch it that much, it's more to set his time by.  And he's stressed enough at work right now that I didn't push it.  The only other time we can pull the TV back out is if we're going to watch a movie.  Hulu though is still an option but that's harder to pull out and just have on.  We only go to Hulu if, again, we have something specific to watch. I was a little worried that I'm obsessed with creating trials that will test our relationship but maybe that's okay.  If we don't have anything to talk about without TV then I'd rather know that now.  Things have been okay so far. I've turned the radio on a lot more, which still isn't just quiet but at least doesn't have commercials.  And it's reminded me how much to use to listen to NPR and I miss it.  Plus I heard some great music the other night.  We'll see how the rest of the week goes.  I suggested only seven days but I'm hoping that when next Monday comes around I'll be able to push for a month.  Breaking my addictions one at a time.  What's next? My computer?  Ice cream?  Those might be too powerful.

No comments: