Sunday, April 22, 2007

not my mom

The Earth Day website didn't make me feeling like saving ol' mother earth. Instead it made me mad, because it tried to make me feel guilty. I took the footprint quiz and yes, I could buy more non-processed foods but really, I felt like I was pretty good in the grand sweep of America. But then when I finished it hit me with the guilt: If everyone lived like you, we would need 3 planets. I think that pretty much implies: If everyone lived like you, you fucking uncaring bastard, we would need 3 planets. I understand what they're saying and that it's interesting, it just comes across as acusatory and I don't think that's the best way to get someone on your side. At least not with me; guilt usually has the opposite effect. So in honor of Earth Day I'm going to go chop down a tree, use it to kill a cow, freeze the meat and ship it off as the only cargo of a 757 to California. Now how many planets do we need, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't talk smack about my momma! Yeah, I took that quiz too. If I stop visiting my relatives in other states, if I stop eating processed foods, if I stop using electricity-period!, then I might be able to reduce my usage by one planet (I was at 4 planets, sucks!).
I felt guilty at first, started doing research on where to find compact flouresent bulbs and all, until I realized that I'd have to get off my ass to go somewhere, then I didn't care about the earth at that point. :) j/k