Tuesday, July 07, 2009

goodbye, little molar

Okay, I just tried to write a whole blog entry about my day today but it kept getting more and more boring. Here's the skinny:

the pain of that abscess started to come back (as I would told it probably would)
I'm saving as much money as I can so I can go to Alexander Technique school within the next 3 years
I don't have dental insurance
root canals are expensive
I got my upper right back molar extracted, it was invasive
they wouldn't let me keep the tooth, even though I asked extra nicely
there is now a gaping hole in the back of my mouth
I was told to take ibuprofen, no prescription pain killers offered

Here's a little interaction the surgeon and I had when he first walked in:

Dr. So and So: So what brings you here today?
ipj: I need to get a tooth extracted.
Dr. SaS (looking at my x-rays): Oh, your lower right molar?
ipj: Umm, nooo...my upper right molar.
Dr. SaS: Oh. Really?

He later told me that whoever (my old when-I-had-insurance dentist) did my last two root canals (less than a year ago!) did a very poor job and that I'd have to have one of those molars (the lower right, hence his confusion) extracted as well.

I tried to take a picture of the gaping hole but none of them turned out. Too bad for you, I know you'd like to see my wound.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I am sorry you aren't feeling well Ian. PS...I am super sad I didn't get to see you. :( I'll be back and I BETTER see you.
MeBice

B said...

I'd like to see your wound. Maybe ask MNS to take a picture? I have full confidence in her picture-taking ability of slightly gross objects. Not that you're gross or anything...I was imagining your wound might be a little, but how could I know without a picture! Maybe I just imagined it.

I'm glad you are writing again. Can I ask for another post if I promise to never use the word "wound" in another comment?