Wednesday, August 29, 2007

So I bought Fit for Life and I'm reading it. Now if you look at me quizzically and say, "But you're not fat" Ima punch you. Just because I'm relatively thin does not mean I'm healthy. And although this book does often talk about losing weight it's mainly a way to eat well. I'm at about page 70 and what I've gleaned so far is that fruit is the body's best friend. And that you should skip breakfast or just eat lots of fruit for breakfast. So that's what I'm doing. I cut up a bunch of fruit last night in preparation for today, which brings me to the "meat" of my post: how in the hell do you cut a mango? I fucking butchered that thing. The mango was probably about the size of two of my fists but I think I only got like 3/4 of a cup of fruit out of it. It was a mess. I was jabbing and slicing as hard as I could. Don't those things have a pit or something? I couldn't even get to it. I put the mango along with some honeydew and kiwi all in a tupperware container and took it with me this morning. This turned out to not be such a good idea. Since each of those fruits was pretty juicy their flavors all kind of ran together, but not in a pleasant way. Ueh, this is dull. That's the kind of post you get at 7AM.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

The mango was ripe, yes? Because that makes a big difference in the efficacy of the following:

1. Cut mango in half.
2. Score the mango in chunks (run your knife from the flesh to the skin like making a tic-tac-toe board).
3. Turn the mango inside out--y'know, push from the skin and (most of) the chunks (should) pop out with little effort.

This trick also works well if you want chunks of avocado.

...but just eating fruit for breakfast means you get no protein start and that's supposed to be a no-no. Also, fruits contain more sugars than vegetables, which makes them harder to digest. This is what I learned from that liver cleanse and allergy challenge...and has been further supported by being knocked up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ipj, you don't know me but i'm going to say that i also don't know how to cut a mango so thank you for the people who can tell us how.

i miss your spindly legs and arms dreadfully and hope that you will be going to liz's performance so i can see you there in a few weeks.

anonymous