Friday, August 31, 2007

you what?

During lunch the other day Isaac and I decided to leave the bitter dullness of Times Square and take the subway somewhere far away. (Specifically to Magnolia, the purpose of which I'll blog about in the future.) Unfortunately I forgot that I didn't have a metrocard. I get TransitChecks through my work and they were apparently delivered to my office last Monday, when I wasn't there. Instead of the delivery person leaving the card with my boss she took it back to her office (in another building) and neglected to tell me. So when Wednesday rolled around, I swiped my card to discover that it had expired. So I ended up having to buy two one-way tickets that morning; I had to head out to DUMBO before I came to work. Stupidly, I didn't go pick up my new card before lunch. So when we went down into the subway I walked toward the turnstile, reached into my pocket for my wallet and suddenly yelled, "Fuck! I don't have my metrocard!" I said this a little too loud and annoyingly. But then, this hot older silver-haired man turned around (on the other side of the turnstile) and said, "Here, you can use mine." I took quizzically, swiped it quizzically, gave it back and said thank you, still confused. What is the action of kindness you are offering me? I think what perplexed me was how could I use his unlimited card if he had just used it? Because why would anyone let me, a complete stranger, use one of the paid rides on his card? After he left I realized that I wasn't quite profuse enough in my thanks. I should have run after him and offered him something. A hand job for you kindness sir? I would have done it too. He was silver fox. Thank you hot stranger.

2 comments:

bdkennedy said...

i've given handies to such foxes for a lot less than a swipe of a metrocard...

ipj said...

Me too, but it's nice to exchange a free ride for sticky hands.