Tuesday, November 20, 2007

blindsided

I almost used the word "community" today, in a positive sense. As in "dance community." Gasp! But don't worry, I saw it coming and headed it off before it could hurt me, or any of you.

I took a dance class today. Usually when I take a class (about twice a year) I don't know anyone, go figure. But today I knew three people also taking class. First I ran into a friend of a friend who I just saw dance in a showing last week and really enjoyed watching. She has an awkward body that she uses well. I said hello, out of character I know. Then the person taking payment was another friend of a friend I met at the same showing. Then when I was warming up on the floor before class someone came over and poked me. I turned around and it was a girl I was an intern with at DTW. I haven't seen her for probably almost a year and it took me a second to recognize her. (She'd also dramatically changed her hair, so I didn't feel too bad.) Then we all took class together. What a lovely feeling that was. And I almost thought that might be what it feels like to be part of a community. And then I thought, it actually just feels more like college.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really just commenting here to complain about your comment on MNS's blog, because, well, it prevented me from commenting on her blog.

Okay, but also, you know how you can tell it's not college: waaaaay cheaper and you don't know the other people in the class and, therefore, don't know yet which ones drive you up the yin yang.

Of course, when you find out which ones are irksome, that's when the "community" brings out its one wholesome gift: bitchin'. Like a Camaro.

Goodbye Blue Monday said...

crap, what do you say instead of community? do you have a replacement word or do you just avoid making comments with said word altogether. crap isn't really part of this question but i wanted to put it in there anyway.