Saturday, November 03, 2007

more grammar woes

This pretty much encapsulates my experience this morning. Except for there was less singing and dancing and camaraderie and more yelling, arguing and idiocy. And there were definitely no puppets. But still. My favorite part is right around -1:18, with Kermit's line. That's just the worst feeling.


When I was in school (probably college but maybe high school) I often used the word especially in my papers. I still use it. I have a pretty limited vocabulary, um, limited to words such as: especially, pretty, quite, realized, suddenly, particularly, stupid, assfuck. That's almost my whole lexicon right there. Anyway, whenever I would do a spell/grammar check on my papers the little prompt box would always ask me if I meant specially instead of especially. Well, uh, I don't think so. But maybe. How do I know what I meant? I was pretty trusting of W*rd's prompt box but not for that. I would keep it especially but my confidence in my sentence structure and grammatical abilities began to wane. Mostly just concerning adverbs though. Of course I don't think I ever researched either word to see which one was right. That little prompt box just questioned me enough to force me to question myself. Until now. Stupid M*cr*s*ft, what are you trying to do to me?! I've been right the whole time. Was it a conspiracy by M*cr*s*ft to make me get lower grades due to improper grammar? Did the programmer specially design the system to question the word especially because he had a secret vendetta? I don't know, but it gave me a complex.

2 comments:

tarak said...

I have a habit of using the same words (like especially) constantly too. I'm always using the thesaurus so I can use (or employ, apply, or exploit) variations of that same word (like particularly, mainly, principally, and above all).

tarak said...

true but scary reality of mass transit. Thanks sesame street!