Wednesday, December 26, 2007

second thoughts

Here's baby's first...


piece of ugly.

What the hell is that? I taught myself how to crochet a few days ago and thought for my first project I'd make a baby blanket for my new niece. So I hooked up a swatch just to see what different patterns looked like and, well, you saw the result. Now, I know the colors are pretty hideous together so maybe it's just the yarn but the more I crochet the more I'm reminded of ugly blankets that my grandmother used to have. Now, I loved my grandmother but wasn't enamoured with her sense of taste. Crocheting also reminds me of doilies that my aunts made and do I really want to introduce a brand new child to that? No. I'm starting to think that crocheting is the ghetto man's knitting. I wanted to crochet a giant heart in the middle of the blanket and while I know exactly how to do that with knitting I was told it would be better to overlay a heart on a crocheted blanket rather than try to incorporate it directly into the pattern. Bah! So many drawbacks. I'm going to try to crochet a new swatch with some better yarn and see if I change my mind but don't hold your breath. On the plus side, crocheting is less conspicious than knitting so while I still might be getting fucked on the subway, perhaps I can still pass as straight as long as I only have that hook in my hand instead of two needles. Because obviously 2=gay.

2 comments:

tarak said...

Wait! My dad knits and he's not gay... or is he?

-P said...

I love to crochet, occasionally on the subway, but I also have a vadge. Crocheting is cooler than knitting because it's less conspicuous, it doesn't take up the world like knitting paraphernalia, and it looks like the word crotch. The only problem is I can't remember how to stop.