Monday, December 03, 2007

yrack yurk grrnap

That's pretty much how I feel today.

Things started off okay. Or maybe they didn't if you take yesterday's dinner (brownies and lime chips) into consideration. But I was prepared today. I had my fruit smoothie in one bottle, my fresh vegetable juice in another, three pieces of fruit (an apple, an orange and an Asian pear) and a sandwich made with sprouted bread and freshly ground almond and cashew nut butter with honey. I carried two bags, one with all my food, dance clothes and books and another with my knitting (I'm starting a new hat). See? Things should have gone well.

I taught a regular Pilates client this morning then had a new client. I spent way too much time being specific with him and not enough time actually making him work. He told me one of his goals was to lose weight and I honestly said that Pilates probably wouldn't do that for him. I ended up recommending that he work with another trainer if that were his goal. So he cancelled his remaining appointments with me and set some up with other people. All fine, whatever, I was being honest. But then on my way to the train I ran into the studio owner. On hearing what I'd said she good-naturedly chastised me for shooting myself in the foot and passing on clients to other trainers. She suggested other, much better things I could have said and of course I'm still learning but I still felt stupid. I just lost a client and not only did I lose him, I gave him away. It's more than just that though, I've just really been feeling like I don't have much strength in teaching Pilates. I don't know how to change that.

Then I got to work and made some stupid mistakes.

And what am I going to eat tomorrow? I feel like I go grocery shopping like, every day. It's really tiring. And my room is a horrible mess.

And I ended things with Parfait, even though we're having tea on Friday night. To talk some more.

I'm sorry I'm so whiny, I just can't help it.

Here's the blog post I meant to type up yesterday.

I always eat and brush my teeth before I get in the shower. That's how I do it and that's how it should be done. You see, if you brush your teeth before you shower when you wash your face you'll get any touches of toothpaste that may be on your lips. But if you brush your teeth after you shower, you might get some toothpaste foam on your face even when you rinse it off unless it's thoroughly scrubbed that stuff with stay there and dry out your skin all day.

But sometimes I spit a little extra out in the shower, just to make sure absolutely everything is out. Yesterday when showering I bent over and put some shampoo in my hand and at the same time spit out some saliva. I was on autopilot so it didn't quite sink in that I accidentally spit into my hand then immediately started massaging my scalp. Whatever. My hair kind of sucks right now anyway, so maybe a spit shine is just what it needs.

1 comment:

tarak said...

oh, I kinda-knew something was happing when I saw you today. You were not your usual vivacious self. Hope that last complement made you smile.

Don't discount your teaching abilities. You are a very good teacher with lots of empathy for those you have a connection with. I also believe that you like what you can do with pilates for other people. I don't think you did anything wrong by telling that guy that he should go to another teacher. How were you going to beginning a working relationship with a client who had a goal in mind that doesn't fit what pilates is about? That's not a part of your philosophy and you shouldn't comprimise it and you should feel bad about it.