Thursday, February 15, 2007

I may not have love

Happy Discount Valentine's Day Candy Day! HL and I went to Duane Reade during our lunch break and it took all my willpower not to fill my arms with 50% off boxes of chocolate. I only bought one small one for my office and only ate slightly over 1/3 of it. Good thing I didn't buy any ice cream last night.

Miss M had asked me to be her valentine, which I felt was quite the honor. That's her name for this blog from now on. We had planned on dinner and a movie but the selection of films was disappointing. Between the two of us we had either already seen most of them or were not at all interested in ever seeing them (Factory Girl). We casually agreed on a 9:30 show and went to find a restaurant. We walked for a while and finally entered an Indian place. The owner (I think he was the owner anyway) approached us and asked to wait a moment. He never said why exactly. We watched as he and his staff prepared a table (we assumed for us) and in the meantime we were approached 2 or 3 more times by staff members asking if we had been helped. When the table was ready we were given a choice to sit at it or at some other tables in the back. We thought it slightly odd that we weren't just immediately seated at the other already prepared tables but then maybe they were also fixing those tables at the same time, I don't know. I'm usually not a fan of Valentine's Day and can get pretty downcast but the couples around us helped to lift my mood. They perfectly demonstrated that just being in a relationship certainly doesn't guarantee happiness. To one side was the bitchy demanding couple and to the other was the bland "do they even like each other?" couple. All Miss M and I wanted to do was talk about them but of course, they were less than a foot away. I said we should try to disguise our conversation in metaphor.

My head is spinning. I've eaten way too much sugar. Is this what love feels like?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I have a blog name!

Goodbye Blue Monday said...

wow - that's some serious self-discipline. More than I've got...yeah, there's ice cream in the freezer (but it won't be there for long).