Wednesday, February 21, 2007

insensitive

During our morning meeting today I kept glancing at my boss' head. Boy, I guess she didn't really have time to wash her hair this morning, there are a few greasy strands kind of stuck to her scalp. What was she doing last night? Oh wait, no, she just has a little smudge. How strange, she's usually pretty immaculate. As I begin to open my mouth to inform her (I can't have her walking around all day not knowing she has dirt on her head, did she walk into a subway bar?) I realize that the smudge is actually closer to the center of her forehead and seems to have a particular shape. Ash Wednesday. And instead of saying anything I started laughing. Unfortunately, the whole time I was laughing I was still staring at her forehead. I hope she didn't notice, I don't think I was too overt but she is savvy.

My eyes popped open this morning at 4AM and I immediately knew that I was sick. I often wake up in the middle of the night, usually several times but normally it's a sort of groggy, moaning waking up, not an eyes wide open kind. Also, I had kicked off all my blankets and still felt a little warm. Now I know New York weather has improved since a few days ago but it's still cold and it certainly wasn't warm enough in my room to warrant no covers at all. So I pulled my blankets back on, huddled into a ball and smushed my head farther (further?) into my pillow. And now I'm sick at work though not feeling near as awful as many people I know. I'm grateful for that. There is one part I like about being sick though. It's never felt so good to close my eyes.

No comments: